- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg Spice
- 1 tablespoon Corn Starch
- 5 Granny Smith or other available sour apples,cored & peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon imitation rum flavoring
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 3 tablespoons prepared caramel sauce
- I like to melt Kraft Caramels with a little milk and butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- Mix sugar, nutmeg spice and corn starch in a large bowl. Cut apples into 1/4-inch thick slices and place in a separate bowl. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice and rum; add to dry ingredients. Stir to combine. Place in pie crust. Dot with 2 tablespoons of butter. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Stir flour and brown sugar together in small bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle evenly over top of pie.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown. Delicious when served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.